Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Get a Great Low-Impact Cardio Workout Using a Rope

A few years ago while searching YouTube for fitness tips, I stumbled upon a video of a cardio routine that I just had to try. It was low-impact and high-intensity, the only equipment needed was a rope and an interval timer. I couldn't ask for more, but I got more, way more than I expected. About 10 seconds into this routine, I knew it was going to help me burn fat.

I'll share the link to that YouTube video at the end of this post. The moves are basic, but very effective at keeping your heart rate in the body fat burning zone. You will feel it toning your legs and bottom within seconds, and your core (midsection) will get a better workout in fifteen seconds than if you did 100 crunch sit-ups.
Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org - David J. Fred
The set-up: you can use any rope that is at least 10 ft long, and two objects to secure its ends too. Think jumping rope, but with two objects to secure your rope to instead of having two people to hold each ends. I chose to used twine and a couple of kitchen chairs.

However, I do suggest using some form of rope that give, just in case you miss a step. Next: secure each end of your rope to whatever you choose - at least 10 feet apart, and 36 inches from the floor. Be sure to warm-up first, like jogging in place for two minutes. Okay, now you're ready to burn fat.
  1. Stand next to your rope, closer to one end (either side - either end).
  2. Lift your leg that's closest to your rope and swing it over to the other side.
  3. Swing your other leg over the rope.
  4. Bend down, step under the rope, and back to where you started.
Repeat these moves for fifteen seconds at your maximum output, then walk around for fifteen seconds. This simple move, along with a sensible diet will melt body fat like nobody's business. All you need is ten minutes of this cardio routine at least three days a week (with one rest day in between) for it to be effective.

That's just 30 minutes a week. Intermediate and advanced fitness enthusiasts should be able to challenge their fitness levels by either raising their rope, extending their workouts to at least fifteen minutes, or both.

Beginners can exclude the under the rope part of this cardio routine and still benefit from it if needed. The rope height that I suggested is only a guideline, adjust the height of your rope to suit the height of your body. Here is the link to that YouTube video.

2 comments :

  1. I've gottem my fair share of working out that I need to do. I haven't been too smart with my choices lately and I want to change my lifestyle. I'm trying to find the workouts that work best for me. It's hard to find the motivation, but I know that it'll be good for me if I keep it up.
    http://puticeonit.com

    ReplyDelete

document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);