Saturday, August 2, 2014

Gain More Muscle: Eat Protein-Dense Hormone and Steroid-Free Meats

Meat is the most common source of protein for millions of bodybuilders who want to pack on as much muscle as possible. It's unfortunate that many of them will never reach their full muscle-building potential because of three things that are in the meats that they consume; antibiotics, estrogen, and steroids.

Instead of meat supplying our muscles with the extra protein needed for optimum growth, it is largely responsible for the excessive weight-gain and low testosterone that many bodybuilders (including myself) who consume them have been plagued by.

Years ago I worked for a supermarket chain that had an organic foods section, as I walked past one shift, something caught my eye; ostrich jerky. I couldn't believe it. After reading the ingredients label I was sold, and bought a stick just to give it a try.

To my surprise, ostrich meat was quite tasty. But it was the lack of marbleized fat, low carbohydrates and high protein that I was truly sold on. The meat had come from farm-raised ostriches, and was free of antibiotics, hormones, and steroids, but I didn't know that at the time.

Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.orgFotoosVanRobin

Ostrich is considered a red meat, 1 ounce contains 6 grams of muscle-building protein, 34 calories and zero carbohydrates. This lean source of meat protein tastes great, but tends to dry out if cooked too fast. Next up is what was once my favorite alternative to chicken and turkey; bison.

Bison proved to be a great source of meat protein for me, but my gains were small because I was yet to learn how to train properly. I have been into health foods for many years, and while strolling the aisles of a Whole Foods Market, I happened to see buffalo burgers in their fresh meats case. So I bought a couple of patties.

I wish that I could say my first buffalo burgers were simply scrumptious, but that ain't so. I quickly learned how much we rely on the taste of sodium in our meats. But after I got creative with seasonings, buffalo burgers were all good.

Bison meat is very lean, and contains just 2 grams of fat in a 4 ounce serving, 24.5 grams of protein, 124 calories, and zero carbohydrates. Try these two antibiotic, hormone, and steroid-free sources of meat protein the next time you go on a bulking cycle, and I bet your results will be more lean muscle gains.  Click on this link for additional info.

No comments :

Post a Comment

document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);