Monday, August 4, 2014

Two Exercises That Will Help Increase Your Bench Press

In the realm of weight lifting, bench pressing is one of the best ways for you to showcase your strength. But for many bodybuilders, reaching the point of being able to slide underneath a 200 or more pound barbell and manhandling it is an honor that most will never attain.

When I first began lifting, my main goal was to bench heavy weights and develop huge pecs like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then I got underneath 100 pounds and couldn't even lift it out of the holder. For years I struggled to press those 100 pounds beyond one rep; sometimes even failing to the point of having to slide from underneath it to safety.

My 100-pound bench press eventually grew to a 145-pound max (one rep) but it took 6 years, and my gains were small. I knew that I needed to get stronger in order to bench more weight so I could grow, but how? I was stuck between a weight bench and a barbell, literally. I mean, the reason I started benching in the first place was to get stronger, right?

Photo courtesy of FlickrdotcomJasonLengstorf

Then something happened, and I was no longer able to use my weight bench, I was devastated. But what I didn't realize at the time was my inability to use my weight bench was really a blessing in disguise. Left with no option, I began doing body weight exercises which consisted of dips, push-ups, etc.

I returned to my weight bench after months of doing dips and push-ups (sometimes with a 25-pound weight on my back). To my surprise, I was able to workout with 150 pounds (8-10 reps) even press 180 (5 reps) and I had a max bench press of 200 pounds (1 rep, which exceeded my body weight at the time).

So, push-ups and dips have proven to be nothing short of great for helping my bench press, and they will do the same for you. If your goal is to increase the amount of weight that you can bench press, substitute bench pressing with dips and push-ups for four weeks. After you return to your weight bench, I'll bet both your strength and lifts will have increased. more info on getting stronger by doing push-ups here

No comments :

Post a Comment

document.body.className = document.body.className.replace('loading', ''); }, 10);